Calling all meat-eaters, vegetarians, flexitarians, reducetarians and anything in between. Hi. It’s that time of year again when I try to brain wash you into joining the cult that is veganism. Just kidding. But you should try vegan this January!
My guess is that many of you have never/would never consider veganism, because you could never go vegan right? What would you even eat? What about cheese? Bacon tho. I get it. Because I, and pretty much every vegan ever, also said those exact things. Now look at us, very much vegan. Still alive and kicking.
If you never try, you’ll never know. Which is where Veganuary comes in.
Veganuary is a UK charity that encourages people around the world to try vegan in January (and throughout the year). They are dedicated to changing public attitudes and aim to reduce the unnecessary suffering of animals whilst inspiring and supporting people across the globe to go vegan. Veganuary offer support and advice to everyone who takes the pledge, and they make the transition to veganism as easy and enjoyable as possible.
Most people make new years resolutions in January, and many of them involve becoming fitter and healthier. If you incorporate yummy, cruelty free meals into your diet, they will automatically be healthier for you – unless you discover vegan cake and then maybe not so much. But it does taste so much better when it’s cruelty free!
Even if you just fancy the challenge. If you don’t think you could last 31 days without meat, dairy and eggs, why not give it a go? Change is always good, and you never know, you may love it.
Here are some facts to think over:
- Over 8 billion animals are killed each year in the UK alone for the meat industry.
- Male chicks are ground up alive because they cannot lay eggs and are deemed as ‘useless’ to the industry.
- 1/3 of the worlds cereal harvest and 90% of the worlds soya harvest is fed to farmed animals instead of people. And we wonder why people are starving!
- The amount of meat we get from said farmed animals is very little in comparison to the amount of food they are fed.
- A plant based diet reduces the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and various cancers.
- By law, there are 400 million pus cells allowed in a litre of milk. BY LAW.
You can sign up here for Veganuary, for free! They will email you and offer you support, with their vegan starter kit. Veganuary also offers you 31 days of free recipes and access to over 600 vegan recipes. There are plenty of recipes for vegan-versions of food you probably like so you won’t feel like you’re giving up on your favourite meals.
Throughout the month of December I will be sharing with you three of the main reasons why you should at least try vegan this January. That way you will have plenty of time to prepare for your first cruelty free meal on January 1st!
Choose compassion this January and see where it takes you!
Peace & Love, Sian