Today, Friday 22nd April 2017, is Earth Day!
This year is the 47th year of a movement that continues to inspire, challenge ideas, ignite passion, and motivate people to action. Earth Day’s mission is to “broaden and diversify the environmental movement worldwide and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle to build a healthy, sustainable environment, address climate change, and protect the Earth for future generations. More than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world.” You can find out more, here.
I feel like it is important to celebrate and appreciate the Earth every day, so this Earth Day I am going to make a promise to:
- Use less plastic
- Plant a tree – within the next month
- Cycle and walk more
- Carry my own bag when I go shopping (reusable or tote)
- Carry a reusable bottle
- Buy local produce
How you could get involved:
- Any of the above^
- Use a reusable coffee cup
- Go meat and/or dairy free at least once a week (or better yet, go vegan! – Did you know that if we all switched to a vegan diet we would immediately cut greenhouse gasses in half. We would also eliminate most water pollution, deforestation and species extinction.)
- Invest in a solar-powered phone charger
- Use energy saving light bulbs
- Unplug appliances and turn off lights when not in use
- Go paperless
- Try shortening your shower by 1 minute (you could save 150 gallons per month if you did)
Remember: you are personally responsible for becoming more ethical than the society you grew up in!
Lets celebrate Earth Day every day by being more environmentally friendly and appreciating our beautiful home.
Peace & Love, Sian.